April 11, 2015

Sunset

Nothing's quite as effective as a sunset at bringing perspective back to how much beauty can exist in this world despite all of the madness. So much chaos and trouble in the world can make it seem like a very unsafe, unfriendly and ugly place at times. And while aspects of life can very much be that way, life can also be unforgivingly beautiful and amazing.

I lost a dear friend of mine recently, and as I stood by her side, holding her hand and all of the tubes coming out of it gently in mine, she took her last breath after a very difficult, year-long fight against a very aggressive form of cancer. I looked out of the window that was just beyond her bed in the ICU to watch the sun sink slowly behind the city. The buildings seemed to absorb, magnify and reflect the kaleidoscope of colors simultaneously while the clouds developed a thin layer of gold along the bottom of them. It was stunning!

The beauty of the sunset was the perfect juxtaposition to the sadness I felt at that moment. Through my tears, I could see the light beams making a trail for my friend to follow as her soul slipped away to join them on their journey to eternity. For a split second, the tears falling from my eyes caught the light in just the right way so as to make a rainbow. Maybe only my eyes saw it, but there was a rainbow that seemed to connect my friend to the sunset beyond.

Even in times of great despair, there is greater beauty still. We just have to keep our eyes and hearts open to experience it. Only in fear and hopelessness do we succumb to the darkness of this world and lose sight of the beauty that remains.

Keep sight of the beauty that still exists despite the chaos!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting. Otherwise, your comments will be deleted and you will be blocked. Thank you.